Tsinghua University was instituted in 1911 as Tsinghua Xuetang, a government sponsored prep school for training students selected to study in the United States. The university section was founded in 1925 when undergraduate students were first enrolled. The name National Tsinghua University was adopted in 1928.
The Resistance War against the Japanese Invasion in 1937 shattered the serenity of the campus and forced Tsinghua to move to Kunming. There, with Peking University and Nankai University, it formed the Southwest Associated University. In 1946, Tsinghua moved back to its original Peking location. At that time, the University had 26 departments under its five faculties of arts, law, science, engineering, and agricultural science.
As part of the nationwide higher education restructuring in 1952, Tsinghua University became a polytechnic institution focused on engineering. It became known as China’s “cradle of engineers” due to the success of its faculty and students.
Tsinghua University has flourished since 1978 with the resumption of departments in science, economics, humanities and social sciences, and law. In 1999, the former Central Academy of Arts and Design of China joined Tsinghua University. The Peking Union Medical College was renamed Peking Union Medical College, Tsinghua University in 2006. It operates under the co-lead of the Ministry of Education and Ministry of Health. The School of Marxism was established in 2008. The School of Life Sciences was established in 2009. Tsinghua is rapidly developing into a comprehensive research university with faculties in science, engineering, the humanities and social sciences, the arts, management, law, education, and medicine.